Splendid Stitches have been altering and repairing vintage for over a decade and offer a comprehensive range of works, from hem shortenings to complete reworks.
We always consider the client needs and circumstances, and balance this with the technical possibilities for the garment. We use vintage haberdashery such as zips and buttons whenever feasible.
For examples of our works, see our ‘Gallery’ section or follow us on Instagram.
Vintage Clothes Repairs, Alterations, Customisations, Restyles and Relinings
Our aim is to make vintage wearable, and to reduce the chances of future damage.
For alterations, we champion body positivity and understand the difference a great fitting item of clothing does to confidence and comfort.
Our services include a personal fitting and discussion with you, so we can use the best method to achieve the best fit. We aim to undertake any alterations in a sympathetic manner, making any alterations as inconspicuous as possible.
Examples of works we undertake include:
- Split seams, including our seam-reinforcement service which checks over your garment and reinforces fragile and/or split seams at all stress points
- Mending and patching rips, tears and holes
- Closures and fasteners (buttons, snaps, hook/eyes), zip replacements and changing loose or broken elastic
- Changing the silhouette such as lowering necklines, shortening or restyling sleeves, hem lengths and bodice alterations including elongations
- Reworks such as changing a dress to a skirt or jumpsuit to trousers. For reworks, we always endeavour to stay as true to the spirit of the original piece as possible, but wearable too
- Re-Lining Vintage Garments : We offer a range of relining options, incl. lining repairs, part relining (eg. sleeves only) or full relines
- We can also add linings where none was before, whether for comfort or preservation
The most sustainable wedding dress is a family heirloom or vintage dress, and Splendid Stitches have helped hundreds of brides over the years restoring their dress, and obtaining the perfect fit before the big day.
We are trusted partners of several vintage bridal retailers and as vintage experts truly understand the anatomy, fabrics and constructions of everything from 1910s Edwardian delicate lace, over 1940s satin, 1950s fit-and-flare, 1970s Ossie Clark crepe and 1980s larger-than-life fairy tale gowns.
Vintage often differ greatly from contemporary garment construction and with our wealth of experience we can resize, customise and mend your vintage wedding dress to get it exactly as you envisage for your big day.
Getting your dress altered by Splendid Stitches:
We offer a first consultation earliest 12 months before your wedding day. An early consultation is useful if you are unsure whether your alterations are viable and want time to explore alternatives.
The fitting process:
The first fitting is usually 5-3 months prior to your wedding, and this can be part of the initial consultation. We usually require you to return for 2-4 further fittings depending on the complexity of works. Most of these fittings will be 8-4 weeks before your wedding date.
As the initial consultation includes a discussion about creative and technical possibilities for your dress, we charge £50 for the appointment. This is offset against any alterations and repairs we subsequently carry out.
Styling and garment dating
We can usually date a garment to within 10 years, and often more precisely than that.
Should you wish to obtain a certain look with your vintage garment, we can recommend appropriate accessories and retailers for this. This is especially useful for wedding dresses or special events.
As we are independent we offer recommendations purely on what we think works for you, but we do prefer recommending small, independent businesses which share our ethos.
Exceptions, Terms and Conditions:
- Splendid Stitches specialise in pre-1990s vintage and are unable to work on contemporary clothing. This includes fast fashion which we refuse to work on for ethical and operational reasons.
- We do not dye, wash or dry clean garments but recommend specialist vintage dry cleaners Upstage Theatrical Drycleaners, the market leader for vintage and theatrical drycleaning in the UK. Based in Bounds Green, North London, just off the North Circular, they can be contacted on 0207 609 9119.
- We do not work on fur, but recommend furrier Rebecca Bradley who can offer alterations, restyling, re-linings, restoration and cleaning of vintage furs. See www.rebeccabradleylondon.com
- Our minimum charge for a single piece is £25, reduced to £20 if part of a multiple order.
For an accurate estimate, please fill in the contact form in the ‘Contact’ section, adding a photo if possible. Alternatively, drop us a line on email@example.com
We are open one weekend per month. Weekend fittings are charged a non-refundable £20 and must be booked at least 7 days in advance.
Our standard turnaround time is 1 week for 1 garment. Quicker turnaround is sometimes available, and carries a surcharge of 25% for 3 days and 50% for 1 day (this service is not available at weekends).